Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kids, Lazy?

So, today I was asked to instruct a grade 8 -9 -10 gym class, to give em a good workout, a BOOT CAMP workout! Yeah!

Wow, I'm shocked. Shaken up a little even. Not only was there a TOTAL lack of enthusiasm, the respect was little if not completely nil. I'm flabbergasted. And embarrassed that these young people could not even do a fraction of what was asked of them. Both gym teachers did the workout, sweating, puffing, WORKING HARD - whilst at least 60% of the class did whatever was needed to make it look like they were participating; putting less than the e in effort! The 35% didn't even disguise their disinterest. Now, there was about 5% that maybe tried, and it's a big maybe. Some, apparently don't even change clothes and workout in their daily attire. I heard a lot of excuses, sore shoulders, knee problems, etc. What the hell - 13 - 14 - 15 year olds... Suck it up already! Pfffft, ridiculous.

Wow, just wow.

However with all that I was forced to witness today. I'm extremely appreciative and proud of my four creatures. Active, polite, doing their best, ... I think it's a treat night! Blizzards for all! Yes, rewards are part of my equation in raising kids. I will relay to them, my travels - trials - tribulations from my learning experience today and thank them for doing what is correct - right - expect of them.

I'm still in shock, I think.

Wow.

WW ...

PS. Those "little fuckers" probably isn't the most politically correct way of addressing kids, huh? I shall try to refrain ;-)

1 comment:

Pablo said...

I've been teaching grade 11 students as part of my final practicum, and I gotta tell ya, "little fuckers" seems about right sometimes. Oh, about 90% of them are just typical teenagers but the others, well, you can just tell they aren't even remotely interested in anything you could possibly tell them, and for good measure they give you a hard time because, God forbid, YOU are boring THEM.

I think I gave that kind of attitude to my own father once.
ONCE.

Whew, I feel better now that I've vented. Keep up the good work, WW!